Implantable Contact Lens or ICL Surgery in mumbai
Advancement in medical science and technology, by leaps and bounds, has opened new and exciting frontiers to treat a large variety of diseases. From artificial pacemakers to aid a diseased heart, to replacement of a worn out joint with a new one, from bionic prosthetics to help patients of amputations, to now using the rich reserve of natural stem cells in the body to treat a number of debilitating diseases, it is rather apt to say that the gamut of what can and cannot be treated is changing at a phenomenal speed.
Implantable contact lenses or ICL is one such boon of medical science that has radically changed the lives of thousands of myopic, hyperopic and astigmatic patients all around the world. For people, in whom Lasik and other Laser surgeries are unable to bestow any benefit, ICL comes to the rescue.
A cutting edge technology, ICL not only permanently treats people with high degree of aberrations (thus unsuitable for Lasik or Laser), it also almost nullifies the common side effects seen with Laser procedure. The best part about ICL is that even though it is a permanent procedure, it gives enough room to change or fine-tune the correction later, if patient is not satisfied. This is because unlike Laser where a part of cornea is permanently ablated, the lens implanted in ICL can be changed to better suit the need of a patient.
ICL is a state of the art technology that is of particular benefit to those who:
- Suffer from high Myopic powers (-) 18 to (-) 30 Diopters
- Suffer from high Hyperopic powers (+) 6 to (+) 15 Diopters
- Have very thin corneas and in whom Laser will adversely effect the corneal strength and stability
- People who are generally considered unfit for Lasik Laser eye treatment.
ICL or also known as Phakic Intraocular lenses work much like a regular contact lens, but from the inside of the eye instead of sitting on the surface of the eye. There is no maintenance and apart from an ocular exam, you do not see or feel the lens in your eye. The only way you are aware of an IOL implant is because of your new and improved quality of vision.
Currently, there are 2 types of ICL in the market and the FDA approves both of these.
The Visian ICL is made of a collamer substance that is present naturally in the body. It is implanted behind the iris and in front of the natural lens. The collamer substances allow the lens to be folded during the procedure and thus the incision required to insert it is small. It is designed for people between the age group of 21 to 45 years who have change in refraction of less than 0.5 D in one year.
The Verisyse IOL is approved to treat moderate to mild degree of Myopia. Placed in front of the iris, it is a rigid lens made of medical grade plastic. While they are generally unnoticed, you can still see them on closer inspection. The length of incision to implant these lenses is slightly more owing to the rigid structure of the lens. Since the lens sits in front of the iris, there is slightly higher chance of corneal damage in case it rubs with the inner surface of the cornea.
Once inside, both these lenses are provided with enough support structures to hold it in place. They also induce natural substances like fibronectin so as to make it mask it from the immune system and avoid rejection from the body. The new Toric lenses help patients of astigmatism achieve better vision.
The ICL Procedure barely takes 15 to 20 minutes at the hands of an experienced surgeon.
Good candidates for the ICL are:
- Having ages between of 18 and 45 years.
- Have dry eyes, severe myopia, or a thin cornea (non-LASIK candidate).
- Nearsighted or farsighted, including those with mild, moderate, and high power with or without occurrence of astigmatism. Now Toric ICL™ is also available which can correct astigmatism
- Should have stable power for a year
- Should not be currently pregnant.
- Should have proper ACD (Anterior chamber depth) and acceptable eye tissue cell density – this can be check after initial investigations.
- Should not have any known allergies to medications used during refractive surgery or no other contraindications.
Generally Lasik Surgeon chooses ICL where Lasik Laser Eye Surgery is ruled out; therefore ICL is not just an alternative; it is the good choice for superior vision quality.
If you have a question, please feel free to call us any time at +91- 9004396201 or write an email at email@example.com